- Conduct at Public Worship (11:2-34); Spiritual Gifts – Part 1 (12:1-31)
- Paul provides the reasoning for why women should wear head coverings (see 1 Corinthians 11:2-16).
- From the 11:6 note in the “Ignatius Catholic Study Bible,” we see that head coverings were a cultural thing of Paul’s time. It is not a doctrine, nor is it required of men or women today.
- Christ is present in the Eucharist (see 1 Corinthians 11:23-34) . Therefore, before receiving the Eucharist, we must discern whether or not we are without sin. If with sin, we should not receive the Eucharist. “Receiving Eucharistic Communion can be an act of sacrilege and self-condemnation if done in a state of serious (mortal) sin” (see note in the ICSB for 1 Corinthians 11:27).
- The Holy Trinity provides each of us with special gifts for our own benefit as well as the benefit of others. We are all members of Christ with special gifts and talents that we can use to build up the Church (see 1 Corinthians 12).
- What verse(s) stood out to you and why?
- Answer the questions found in your study guide and/or in the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible – The First Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians.